If you don’t need the power of 68060 or 68080. Then the power of 68HC000 is a remarkable alternative. A 68k CPU that was made by Toshiba instead of Motorola that is fully compatible with Classic Amiga computers. This lead 7-bit folks from Poland to create an Amiga 500 / Amiga 500+ accelerator named Wicher 508i.
Now there’s an update for Wicher 508i that makes the card possible to be used with the newest AmigaOS 3.2 from Hyperion Entertainment without issues.
The description of the update on their site says “Wicher508i card handling bug fixed in AmigaOS 3.2”. Great move! Just remember that you need to get hold of a 68HC000 CPU yourself as it is not included with the Wicher 508i card.
Wicher 508i Tech Info
- Amiga 500 and Amiga 500+ Compatible
- PLCC68-packaged MC68HC000 chip support
- Recommended chip version: MC68HC000 (not included)
- Supported CPU clock speeds: 7,25,50 MHz
- RAM: 16MB SDRAM (AmigaOS uses 11MB)
- Amiga A600-compatible IDE controller (required Kickstart >= 2.05 (37.350))
- I2C controller
- MAPROM function
- BootRom function
- Kickstart: recommended Kickstart 3.1 or up (required Kickstart >= 2.05 (37.350))
Resellers of where you can buy Wicher 508i
MicroMiga – MicroMiga Shipping: France, Europe
Alinea Computer – Amiga Shop Shipping: Germany, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, North-America, South-America
Vesalia Computer – Vesalia Shop Shipping: Germany, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, North-America, South-America
Sordan – Sordan Electronics Shipping: Ireland, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, North-America, South-America
F. H. U. EDEN Komputery – RetroAmi Shipping: Poland, Europe
ASB Computer – AMIGAstore Shipping: Spain, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, North-America, South-America