A new update for Sonnet G3/G4 PowerPC cards for MediatorPCI owners is now available. Earlier we wrote about this 30 Euros card that can be bought to give a nice Quake boost. So this new PowerPC Library update is great news to share.
PowerPC power for Amiga thru a PCI card
MediatorPCI PowerPC Library cards support list today is
- Sonnet G3/G4 with max. 192 MB
- Rapture G4 7410@450 MHz with 256 MB
- Apocalypse G4 7410@450 MHz with 256 MB
- Ragnarok G3 750FX@800 MHz with 256 MB
- BigFoot Killer NIC M1 e300@400 MHz with 64 MB
The list is quite huge as this PowerPC library is made by Dennis Boon for free to download from Aminet.
You can choose between a very cheap PowerPC PCI card like BigFoot Killer NIC card or you can go for more expensive ones. All depends on how much you want to spend and need. The included powerpc.library in this package is a driver for the Sonnet 7200 G3/G4 PCI card,
the Force PowerPCM-250 G4 PMC card and the PrPMC8xx range of cards that is compatible with MediatorPCI PCI expansion.
Recommended Amiga set-up with PowerPC.library
- Amiga with Zorro III/PCI slots compatible with a Mediator.
- Elbox Mediator 3000Di/4000Di with 3.3V rail.
- 68040 or better.
- A Radeon 92xx or 3DFX Voodoo3/4/5 card.
- Mediator Warp3D 4.2 for 3D graphics in combination with a 3DFX Voodoo card.
With this as your minimal set-up. You can get Quake FPS above 30FPS. The Bigfoot NIC cards aren’t really made for being PowerPC accelerator cards, but Dennis have found a way for AmigaOS to use the PowerPC CPU which is also located on these network cards.
Here are some of the improvements for 17.11 version
- Added support for Bigfoot Killer NIC K1 PCI cards.
- Added access to Radeon config space for K1/M1 PPC cards.
- Fixed reporting of L2 size for Killer NIC cards
- Added experimental code to add pcidma memory for use by K1/M1 cards. This is
enabled when a Radeon is added as a secondary card.
- PPC MMU now correctly initialized in case of 128MB(x2) Radeon.
- Harrier based cards can use up to 384MB of local RAM for PPC programs when
enough room in Z3 space,
- Fixed errors in MMU page table set-up code.
- Fixed register trashing when Killer or Harrier present (code was executed
using MPC107 register offsets).
- Now the whole 512MB mediator memory range gets mapped to the PPC.
- K1 now has a correct decrementer interrupt going on. The time slice was
wrongly calculated resulting in occasional stalls of the PPC